In looking back at the week one discussion, I would not say
that my view has changed on how I learn as I still believe that my learning is
more related to a constructivist. But, I would say that all the learning
theories do play a role in how I and others learn. I can see how connectivism
is often not considered a learning theory as it does borrow a lot of ideas from
the other theories. However, it does provide a means that makes sense of how
the other theories work together instead of standing alone. For instance, the
role of memory in behaviorism is nonexistent in theory as it is not observable.
We all know that some form of memory exist, but does not have a means to be
measured, perhaps future technology will change that one day. The Cognitivist
theory has clear tools that explains how memory is used. What I am trying to
say is that the two theories have their downfalls, but could help to explain the
holes that each theory has.
It was interesting for me to learn how large a role social
learning plays on the learner. With the recent explosion of technology and
social media in the past few year, social learning has taken off. A learner’s social network is no longer
limited to the instructor and students in your class. You can now network with
all students in every class without ever meeting face to face. There could also
be an overload of information. But, I feel this is where connectivism comes in
to play allowing the learner to carefully pick and choose which information to
use and what to discard. Perhaps, connectivism should be considered an
evolution of the learning theories.
Technology plays a big role in my learning. There are many
aspects but the biggest is being able to organize and display my thoughts. Word
processing has been around for a while but now you can use a mind map or a blog
to gather and show your ideas. Technology will only improve.
No comments:
Post a Comment