Looking
at the mind map of my learning network, I can see that it has grown over the
years as it should for an adult learner, gaining experience as time moves
forward. In my network I have people, experience and media as the foundation of
my learning network. Everything else branches out from those categories. Although the people and Experience sections
appear larger, they have had more time to develop. I did not grow up with the
internet. However, it has become a vital source not only for information and
learning but for other aspects of life such as paying bills or planning a
vacation. Like anything with high potential, the internet can also be negative.
I am constantly monitoring my kids as they enjoy Netflix and Mindcraft, making
sure they stay on task. For me the internet has not only opened doors to the
opportunity of a Masters degree, it has also helped me to learn just about
anything from cooking to programming to sewing, you name it.
The
one tool that has captured my attention is the RSS feed reader. I am currently
using Feedly and I really like not having to search for information on various
sites. The new information is brought to me in one location. It does save some
time. Google Drive has also been a lifesaver. I do not use Google Docs
exclusively. But, the ability of saving documents to the cloud and working on
them anywhere has given me some freedom in when and where I can work on
assignments. It is also nice to have a safe secure, backup of my data. I used
to use thumb drive but I would often lose, wash or run them over with my car. It
surprisingly still worked, but the use of Google Drive takes the stress out of
having the accidents that will inevitably happen.
I
have always viewed questions or problems as opportunities to learn something
new. It is impossible for anyone one person to know everything. But, it is
possible to ask questions from people who are masters of a particular field.
For instance, my first teaching job had me teaching automotive. Although I was
prepared to teach general automotive after instruction and online research, I
wanted to further my knowledge of the industry so that I could give my students
a more detailed picture of what it would be like to work in the field. I used
my personal network to connect with friends who work in the automotive arena to
answer questions that I had of how things were done on the job. Asking
questions helped me tie in the theory with the hands-on knowledge of the
industry.
Whether
connectivism is pedagogical view or true theory, it is an idea that
successfully ties in the constant flow of new knowledge and how we use that
information (Siemens 2005). I do believe that my learning network supports the central tenets of connectivism as it provides
for opinions and specialized information from multiple sources that is
constantly evolving. Using my network, I
am able to make clear, educated decisions on what to use for my learning.
References
Siemens,
G. (2005). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International
Journal of Instructional Technology & Distance Learning. Retrieved April 5,
2014, from http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Jan_05/article01.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment